Friday, January 16, 2009

Burnt Waffles

Fire alarm blaring, house full of smoke and what did I find, EGGO WAFFLES.  Its Sunday and the kids are ready for church. Last to get ready would be me. Out of nowhere I hear the fire alarm going off. I walk out of the Kids bathroom, where I was getting ready and saw smoke rising from my main floor into our loft upstairs. Right at the moment I looked down stairs and there is Kamo running up the stairs terrified. When I asked him what happened he just said in a wimpery voice,"the alarm". I thought I was going to find my kitchen in flames.  The whole downstairs was filled with smoke. It was so thick I was covering my mouth and nose trying to breath in fresh air. Black smoke was shooting up through the slits in the toaster. Our son decided to put the setting on burnt and then continuely press it down until it was shooting up smoke. I quickly unplugged the toaster and popped up the toaster lever to find Burnt Eggo waffles. I didn't know what to do. The smoke was still shooting up even unplugged so I started running around the house trying to open windows. Oh yeah, did I tell you it was -4 degrees that morning? So our windows were frozen shut and none of them wanted to open. I had makayla trying to open windows upstairs while I'm trying to yank them open downstairs. All the doors in the house were open. The heat turned off. Two windows over the sink were open and smoke in EVERY room in the house. Kamden had locked himself in his room and was crying. All the smoke has risen into the upstairs and wouldn't escape. None of our windows upstairs would open even with all of our tugging. OUR HOUSE STUNK! 
Needless to say we were late to church. When the kids and I walked into church all I could think about was that we stunk SOOOO bad. When we sat down Daryle looked at me like what the heck happened. At this point I was not in the best mood. My patience had been spent and I tell him....YOUR SON ALMOST BURNT DOWN THE HOUSE!!!! a minute later our whole family walk out of church. We stunk so bad Daryle wouldn't let all of us stay. Thank goodness. He made me stay since I taught sunday school so every time someone walked by me or talked to me I felt like I had to explain why I stunk so bad. 
When I came home from church I found our house stinky and freezing with Daryle MAD. When i left to take the kids to church I left the windows over the sink open as well as the back door and the heat off. Apparently you shouldn't do that. Our sink pipes had frozen and burst. Daryle was pretty ticked at me because in addition to airing out our house, wiping walls and washing everything he had to fix the sink.  All for Burnt waffles.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Wow Kahea. That is one for the books! Poor Camden. That is traumatizing. Especially about the burst pipe! I wouldn't have thought about that... now I know... just in case! Oh man.