Friday, August 28, 2009

Hair cuts and MORE

Kamaile got a haircut two weeks ago without Daryle and my permission. We have a 16yrs old girl who comes over and visits often. She decided one day while we were home to see if she could cut Kamaile's hair. I thought she was joking and sarcastically said ok. So she ventured deeper and was like come on lets do it it would be fun. So I told her to ask Daryle knowing he would say NO. He did tell her NO and 10 min later she took Kamaile up stairs and takes the clippers and shaves her head. At this point Kamaile had about 4 inches of curly hair. I heard her screaming and yelled at her upstairs to see what was going on. Kristine the 16yr old came down stairs with Kamaile and was like; "Don't you like her hair?" As she got closer I was able to see the damage. Kamaile had one long strip of hair gone on the left side of her hair. Then she had random strips of hair taking off of the back of her head. She had cuts on her hair from the clippers. Kristine didn't use a clip on the clippers but just took them and had NO clue what she was doing.
I was shocked. I was mad and at this point was slowly building to a boil. I told Kristine to show Daryle and she didn't want to in fear of Daryle getting mad. She was like NO I'm scared. She showed Daryle and all he did was say look at my little girl look what you did and the left the house. Daryle was ticked.
We had to finish shaving Kamailes hair at this point. We used a #2 hair clip and shaved the rest off. Kamaile screamed the whole time we were doing this. She was traumatized. It was torture! I was so upset that my little girl was going through this and that she now looked like a boy. I was upset that she was hurt and didn't know how to emotionally deal with it. Inside I wanted to yell at this girl. I didn't yell at her but explained to her that there are good choices and bad choices and that this is a prime example of a bad choice. No shes not drinking or smoking but it was still a bad choice. I talked to her about her thought process and why she would do this after being told NO and then continuing when Kamaile is scared and screaming bloody murder. I basically cried. When I'm mad and upset I cry. I think this was the only thing that got through to her. She didn't feel bad before but at this point she knew that I was really upset.
Kamaile's hair is growing back really fast. She's gone two weeks now and it looks like she just had a short hair cut on purpose. We keep hair bands on her with bows on them so that people know that she's a girl. Kamaile now loves to wear her headbands when before she would wrip them off of her head. She does feel empty on top. Every once in a while I'll see her feeling for her hair. She used to play with it and run her fingers through it. Now she just tries to grab for it when she forgets its not there.

I figure what's done is done. I'm sure down the road when she is older and I look back on it I'll smile and say to Daryle, remember when....

No comments: