Monday, August 10, 2009

Poison Control

After 6 years of having children we had to break down and call poison control on Sunday. Our youngest has always done really well taking liquid meds. Weather they tasted good or not she always drank them and liked to hold the bottles. Well this Sunday she woke up with a really nasty snotty nose so I kept her home from church and gave her some Dimetapp cold and allergy to help dry out her nose. If any of you have tasted Dimetapp I would say it tastes like grape koolaid. So I left the Cosco size bottle on top of our counter after giving her her meds and didn't think anything of it. Well 3 hours later my sister runs up the stairs to tell me that she found Kamaile on top of the counter, the dimetapp bottle empty on the floor and our little girl smelling like grapes. Somehow she had opened the bottle and drank about 3oz of Dimetapp.
When talking to Poison Control they told me that she didn't drink enough to have to take her to the hospital but that she will either be really hyper or extremely tired. Last night she was bouncing off the walls, but this morning she was extremely tired. She came into my bed early and would not let me leave her side. She was in an out of it all morning long. It is now 12:40pm and she is finally awake and eating.
Now I know to keep all meds no matter what kind of child proof lids they have on them up high and away from her and the others.

No comments: